Friday 18 February 2011

Patience is a Virtue

I have a cat, his name is Angelo, hes a gorgeous 3yr old black furball. Anyone who has/had a cats and played with them knows that cats like to play 3 different games. There is a chasing game, everyone has seen cat chasing a paper ball or a laser light, there is a wrestling game, that game often leaves scratch marks on your hands, and then there is a "watching" game. Cat can sit for a long time without moving a muscle in his body and just watch his prey waiting for this perfect moment to catch it. I really can not figure out when is that perfect moment for Angelo but I had 2 of those moments not long ago in Genesis.

Undeniably piloting skills, knowledge of ones ship and it's abilities are some of the most important aspects of PvP in EVE, there are however other aspects that are not often spoken about. Research, preparation and patience play a big role and will often make a difference between coming back home with couple of corpses in your cargo or coming back in a pod.

While researching few pirate corporations which I knew are settled in my neighbouring low systems I was looking for where they hunt, where they score solo kills, what targets can be found in different systems. One small low sec pocket Between Zarer and Hesarid caught my eye in Genesis system. I haven't been there before and some pilots reported solo kills in that area, targets were always soft and I noted 5 recent solo kills between 2 guys from local pirate corp.

My Rifter was loaded with supplies for the evening and I instructed ship computer to set best speed to Sibe. I have met some familiar faces on the way to my new playground but nothing worth mentioning happen. My usual routine in new area is to prepare observation spots on all celestials. After making some bookmarks I familiarised myself with inhabitants of this place. Literally all of them had high sec status, and BattleClinic killboards showed mostly loses with just a couple of kills in large fleets.

In Hesarid one pilot was parked at POS and I was about to go back to Toon which was more lively with about 10 pilots docked in station when 2 more ships jumped through the gate. Usually when carebears see someone with low sec status in the system they just dock or hide in safety of a tower shield, but those guys were all from the same corp and it seems they were called as a support for the guy sitting at POS. Three of them threaten me in local and asked me to leave or they will shot me down, I answered that I claim this system and either they leave or I will shot them down to which I didn't get any answer.

Ishkur and Myrmidon showed on directional, my Rifter was not a match for those 2 together. As they had amost zero PVP experience I was tempted to go after them, shot their drones really quick and try to do some damage but in the end I figured that would be pushing my luck waaay too far, all they needed is any kind of point and neutraliser to take me down. They probably thought themselves very smart parking at anomaly above my, sadly they stayed together all the time and there was not much I could have done to split them.  POS pilot was in Cormorant and didn't want to come out to play at all. I was patient, I had all evening and dedicated those 4 systems to be my hunting ground for the evening so I sat on my observation spot and watched and waited, after about 15 minutes 3 of them gave up and left the system.

Slightly disappointed I jumped back to Toon. There were only 3 guys there, all docked, again I decided to sit quietly and dont look threatening (hehe). After couple of more hours with nothing to report, directional in Toon blinked with one target. Moa undocked from station and headed somewhere, directional started searching space for her destination and to my surprise found her on local plex. Looked like my patience was about to be rewarded with big fat slow prey. I landed about 20 km from her and overheated mediums, in seconds warp scrambler disabled her propulsion system and 200mm Autocanons crackled sending volley after volley into her soft underbelly.

After extracting pilot capsule from her intestines I tried to catch pilot for some ransom but he was switched on and instantly warped away to the safety of a station. Moa had disappointingly bad fit and apart from kill satisfaction I didn't get anything of a value from her. 

During the fight I noticed that Cormorant pilot I saw earlier in Hesarid showed in local for few seconds and disappear. Aftaer loosing my GCC I made my way to Hesarid again hoping I may catch him there. You can always count on a noob, he came back and was ratting happily on a belt nearest to gate exit. Pilot of the Cormorant only managed to say "You again..." before his ship exploded and I delivered him safely to his cloning bay. Cormorant fit was just as bad as Moa but slightly more expensive and after long waiting whole evening turned out to be rather good. With full cargo hold, 2 kills and significant dent on my security status I headed home without any further interruptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment