Thursday 17 February 2011

Hunter hunted

It's not National Geographic people nor is it a game from 90's, rather is a short story how I managed to fell into 2 traps one after another. 

As usual I went looking for trouble to Genesis region, one lucky industrial in Dom-Aphis who was onlining POS defenses managed to escape into safety of the tower shield in structure, slightly frustrated I left the system heading north.

Most of the inhabitants of the area was sitting in stations, only in Assez which is often more busy system in this pipe couple of BC was camping exit to high sec in Serren. I noticed on  the map single low sec system called Ahbazon and decided to check it out. To my surprise it had 12 people in local and directional started spitting potential targets. Most of the reported ships was of course parked at POSes but I noticed an Omen in one of the belts. 400mm fitted Rifter is in my opinion not an ideal fit for Ammarian Cruiser but after assessing locals I decided to give it a try anyway, chances are he is PvE fitted and if shit hits the fan I can always fly away. 

As I landed on the belt, cruiser was just warping off, I followed him to few celestials but eventually he managed to shake me off. While I was rather annoyed with this turn of events my confidence grew. I analysed situation, all pilots in the system were from different corps, this guy was ratting solo and run away from me, conclusion was - I am only bad apple in this basket. I went back to directional and spotted Wolf in a belt right next to me, Wolf does not have a web and worst case scenario I will just run away from him, my decision was an instant and Rifter warp drive spatted bright burst of flames. 

I engaged Wolf overheating all my systems instantly, he replied with fire and disruptor, I should have read a warning sign better and gtfo from there but my confidence was high and adrenaline rush held me in place. My plate was holding pretty well against this AF, our armor was going down at similar rate and I was pretty sure it will be a very close race into a structure for both of us. I kept close distance knowing that Wolf has better faloff than my Rifter, about half way through the armor 2 more ships landed on the belt, the same Omen who was earlier running away from me and a Crusader. For a split second I hoped they may help me but it turned out not to be, I didnt even try to escape and kept firing at Wolf but very quickly I was heading to the station in my pod. 

We had a chat afterwards and they said it was a trap. I still don't know why Omen was running away from me but really it doesn't matter, shame we couldn't finish duel with Wolf, it would be interesting to see how my Rifter stands up to this more advanced ship.

Next day I aimed for a different low sec pipe starting in Kador ending in Domain, after checking it out few days earlier I wanted to explore the area a bit more. Few familiar names with low sec status flying cruisers and battlecruisers was on the main route and I expected this trip to be short and uneventful. In Bersyrim directional detected a lone Harpy on celestial, quite excited with prospect of fighting another AF I warped to the planet he was sitting just a split second too late, we started playing this cat and mouse game for a few minutes, I am getting better at this and I followed him exactly and not loosing him even for a moment but every time he managed to escape before I landed a point on him. 

My frustration with this slimy character grew with every unsuccessful attempt at pointing him him. I noticed a local pirate entering the system, I knew he was flying Rapier as I have seen him en route here. I decided to catch this Harpy and fight it at any cost however and kept my chase. He headed for a sun and I followed again without loosing him out of my directional, as we landed at 0 and finally my scrambler was locked on his ship and held him in a place. 

At the same time pirate in Rapier decloaked 10 km away. He released swarm of Hammerhead II and pointed me, I think he was also shooting but with AB running I was too quick for his guns and drones, he did not neutralised my cap and I though I have a fighting chance. Harpy was going down and was going down fast, my victory was almost certain, my armour was holding firm while his was falling apart under my overheated guns and rockets. Maybe 15 more seconds of that and he would be heading to the station in a pod but as I started relaxing Zealot landed on top of Rapier and in 2 volleys I was out of armour. To make matter worse Rapier neuted me and now without AB his drones started chipping away my structure, my end was inevitable.

We had a long chat after that, turned out there was a larger fleet in the area spread across many systems and my faith was predetermined long before I realised that. Harpy pilot was a trainee in a local pirate corp and he wanted to show his mates how he can kill Rifter, we had a chuckle about that and they admitted that without support from Rapier and Zealot he instead of me would be now heading home in a pod. Despite loosing my 2nd Rifter without one kill to my side I was rather pleased with my performance.

Hunter became a hunted twice in a row, such is life of a lone hunter, sometimes you bite more than you can chew. Rapier pilot asked me to join his corp, they have a trainee spot open and said they will be happy to take me on. I am still considering this offer but there is a certain romantic charm in going on a solo hunt and I get more buzz from not knowing what's behind next gate than from relative security granted by corporation intel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment